When moving into a new house, it’s important that you understand the various types of walls that feature throughout a home; especially if you plan on undertaking any DIY or general maintenance.

One Guarantee have put together a useful guide explaining the various types of wall used to construct your home and what to consider when decorating or fixing items to walls.

Types of Wall

Masonry/Blockwork Walls
These are the strongest walls in your home which are able to support heavier items, such as mirrors and shelves.

Timber Frame Walls
While not as strong as masonry walls, timber walls can also support heavy items. The key is to make sure that any fixings are secured to the timber frame itself and not just the plasterboard.

Partition Walls
Partition walls are constructed very differently to masonry and timber walls. These walls are only suitable for items such as posters and calendars.

If you are under any doubt about the types of walls in your home, it is best to contact your developer or consult the floor plans of your house.

Fixing Items to Walls

Given the different types of walls, there are important steps that need to be taken to ensure no damage is caused when fixing items to the walls within your home.

Posters, calendars and any other light items may be fixed to walls using adhesives, unless the manufacturer's advice specifies otherwise.

Slightly heavier items, such as small pictures, may be hung using picture hooks. However, larger items, such as mirrors and shelves, should not. Instead, the fixing of larger items will depend on how the wall in question has been constructed. You may need to contact your developer who will advise you on the type of wall and the best way for larger items to be fixed.


It is likely that your walls have been painted with an emulsion paint. If you wish to change the colour of your walls it is recommended you wait until the drying out process has run its course. This is to avoid the need for further maintenance caused by decorating walls which have not yet set. Once the drying out process is complete, you will need to use a DIY filler to cover any gaps and plaster cracks caused from drying out and shrinkage.

One Guarantee provide Building Warranties and Latent Defects Insurance for residential and commercial property throughout the UK. For more information on our range of Structural Warranties, please get in touch by calling 01603 218288 or email us.